Exactly 12 years after Greg popped the question

Today marks 12 years since Greg proposed to me.  I was 22 and we both were working at Pinehurst Conservation area as summer University students, and he had secretly arranged that we would both have the weekend off.  I went into work (taking campground reservations, and doing park admissions), and I was surprised to see my friend Katharyn show up to take over my shift.  Greg was there soon after -with flowers - what a romantic :)  and he quickly took me home to pack an overnight bag, and we were on the road.

He didn't tell me where we were going but we drove north.  We both love the outdoors, so the further north we drove, the less civilization I saw, the more excited I got.  We drove through Algonquin park and stopped at a little resort in the town of Whitney.  Greg had rented a cabin, at a couples resort and arranged for us to have a fancy dinner that night.  I loved the cabin, but I wanted to get out for a run with Greg on the Algonquin trails - so we drove back into the park and got a fantastic trail run in.  We dressed up for dinner, and I got to enjoy a fancy dinner, with my boyfriend.  Things were good.

After dinner, back at the cabin, Greg lit a fire put on my John Meyer CD (oh 2003 - the "your body is a wonderland" year) and gave me a handmade book that he had made for me - it contained lots of little items of our 4 years of dating -like concert ticket stubs, letters, notes, cards, even a dried pickle :)  I cried, it was so sweet, and when I got it together, Greg was on one knee holding out the shiniest engagement ring, that I had ever seen.  I said yes (through more tears), and we both sat in a screened-in sunroom, listening to the rain and talking about what our life was going to be like together.
Seriously, this guy is the best.  So handsome, so thoughtful, so loving.  I felt so very lucky.  I still do.

Now 3 kids, careers, races and lots of amazing memories later, I still think back to that special night where we were dreaming about a life full of lots of adventures and a bunch of kids.  We definitely have that...12 years later.

Comments