My first snowshoe race! - Dion Brighton Snowshoe race report

   I raced in my first Snowshoe race this weekend.  It's funny because before a few months ago, I didn't even know that this sport existed.  Last winter, I was barely running, and definitely avoiding going outside now I'm watching the weather- hoping for snow and joking about doing "snow dances" to will the snow to fall.  It's great that I have found a fun winter activity where I can enjoy the trails that I love even in the snow.

   My husband and I traveled to Brighton, Ontario this past weekend to race in the Dion Brighton Snowshoe race.  We stayed in a little resort called the Timber house Resort.   The small resort was right on the water.  We had a cozy room with a fireplace, and a king bed. Throughout our room and the hotel was lots of beautiful exposed wood beams.  We had a quiet night in, getting ready to race in the morning.  The hotel owner Dan was very accommodating to our needs as runners, and allowed us a late check out, so we could come back to the room to shower before our drive home.  That was great.  Thanks Dan!
Just after the start - I'm trying to get my gps going, and look at Greg - he's all business! - photocredit Dalila Seckar
Photocredit - Sean Scally http://www.scallyeventphotos.ca/
  I woke up nervous for the race.  I commented to Greg, that I was more nervous for this race than I was for the World 100k Championships in the Netherlands in September.  I was wondering how I would feel, pushing myself with the snowshoes on.   My three other runs with snowshoes have been at a very casual pace.  I was hoping that I had changed the cleats properly and that they wouldn't fall apart as I ran.  I was wondering how I would place in the field.  This being something new, I was definitely more nervous than usual.

   The race was held at the Goodrich-Loomis conservation area. As we were walking to the building to pick up our race numbers, Greg ran into a guy he knows from work.  Neither one knew the other snowshoe ran.  We warmed-up together and waited with Tim and his partner Dalila at the start for the race to begin.

   The course wound through the trails of the conservation area.  It had two sizable hills, the first being at 900m into the race, so to avoid the potential bottleneck, Greg and I had a quicker start than I was intending.  I was passed on the first hill by the 2nd place female runner, and then by another runner.  I caught up to him and ran with him for a bit, then moved on.  I could see the 2nd place female ahead of me for most of the race.  I was trying to catch her, but my legs wouldn't turn over any quicker.  I finished 7th overall, 3rd female in 33:08.  Greg ran a fabulous race finishing in 5th overall, 4th male in 31:55.
Photocredit - Sean Scally http://www.scallyeventphotos.ca/

Photocredit - Sean Scally http://www.scallyeventphotos.ca/

Photocredit - Sean Scally http://www.scallyeventphotos.ca/

At about 2k in.  I see Dalila, thanks for the cheering!-photocredit Dalila Seckar

Greg's approaching the finish.  Go Greg Go! -photocredit Dalila Seckar

Just around the bend and then finished. -photocredit Dalila Seckar
I didn't realize that I was smiling most of the race -there's a lot of photo proof of that :) I had a blast.  It was so much fun getting to enjoy the snow-covered trails.  I was very happy with the pace I could hold, and how great I felt.  I'm ready to run more snowshoe races.
Greg crossing the line - awesome race Greg! -photocredit Dalila Seckar

My prize for 3rd female overall - Granola! -photocredit Dalila Seckar



   Whoa - I get to write this officially now - Thanks to my wonderful product sponsors - Dion Snowshoes for the Dion121 Racing Frame Running Snowshoes which performed very well during the race from Spafford Health and Adventure and to CLIF bar for their excellent  CLIF bars, CLIF bloks, and CLIF shots to help fuel my performance during the race (and in my training leading up to the race too).  Thanks to the friendly and helpful race directors and volunteers for the enjoyable first snowshoe race experience.

Comments

  1. Lisa, you were a snow shoe-in to place in your gender group, waytabee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment John. Hope we get some snow soon to get back out there on our snowshoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Steve, you can't help slipping those puns in there - one question for you; have you ever tried to eat a clock? It's very time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, yum, it would go thru my system like clockwork.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well played Speedy Gumby, well played. I gotta get back to reading a great book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lisa, Great post on the race! I hope that Greg's happy about seeing his face on the blog now! It was great to meet you! (I do have another L in my name if it's not too much trouble to add: Dalila :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dalila, thanks for the blog comment. Thanks again for the pics -and yeah, Greg isn't behind the camera this time! It was nice meeting you and Tim. Hopefully we'll hang out at a race again soon. Ooooo and sorry about the typo - it's fixed now :)

      Delete

Post a Comment